Monday, January 3, 2011

Claire's new play kitchen

 As soon as I saw kitchens made from old/recycled nightstands, I knew that I wanted to make one for Claire. I scoured kijiji looking for the perfect nightstand to use. I saw this one and thought that it would be perfect. Now, it was my intent to have my Dad help me make this, maybe bring some of his tools over to my house so that I could play an active roll in making the kitchen for Claire, but he ended up doing nearly all of the work.

Before:
 After:
I love how the kitchen turned out, but more importantly so does Claire.
 On the side of the nightstand is a magnetic board. The sink is a bowl from the dollar store, taps are old dresser knobs, and the faucet is an upside down letter J. I picked up the toaster last March on sale, and added two burners to the top of the stove. The knobs are recycled door handles/pulls. I added 4 for good measure.

My Dad cut a hole in the top drawer to added a piece of frosted glass for the oven. The oven closes with a simple magnetic closure.
 The burners are bamboo coasters that I picked up at the dollar store. To make them look more like burners I used my cricut cutter to cut circles and then I Mod Podged them on. This side of the nightstand is a chalkboard.
 I made Claire some eggs from felt to play with. I stuffed the yolk with a bit of batting, and added a bit of an old wipes package between the layers of the felt to make the egg crinkly.
 Claire loves to cook the eggs in the oven.
Linking up with: Someday Crafts


16 comments:

  1. Sarah ArenburgJanuary 04, 2011

    A-maz-ing!!! Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good lord. That's just... stunning. Now I want to make one. Although I'm sure it wouldn't turn out as nice as all that, but what a clever idea! And you (and your dad) executed it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just amazing!!! Claire is one lucky little girl. I can't believe how awesome it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny FosterJanuary 06, 2011

    Lila, what a beautiful Christmas present! It is absolutely amazing...I had no idea you were so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is crazy brilliant, I can hardly stand it. Congrats Claire, your mommy is a genius! The felt food I could do, but I don't know about the rest of it. I especially love the use of door pulls as taps and knobs. Do any of the knobs move, or would that just unscrew them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally awesome. I want one and I am 32.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is darling! All the little details make it extra special. The expression on your daughter's face is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my lord. That is total sweetness!! What an inspiration!! I love it (can you tell?)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a pretty little kitchen! I hadn't seem them made out of old nightstands, just entertainment centers. I like this much better because we just wouldn't have room for the larger ones. This is totally do-able! Thanks so much for sharing this...it is just beautiful!! And I love the look on Claire's face...what a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! Too bad I have 2 boys ;)
    I found you through Made By You Mondays and am now a follower.

    Melanie
    youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen many of these but I gotta tell you this is THE BEST one i have seen in blogoshpere. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing transformation - how fun! I love it! I'm so gonna have to borrow this idea if my Baby Girl has a baby girl!!

    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. That turned out so cute. I'm your newest follower. I'm having my first link party tomorrow (Monday). It would be great if you could stop by and post your project. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this. Just love it, I have to make my kids one. It's great and so much better than the usual plastic ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! I'm just wondering what you used for the back?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...